What is involved in Change Control
Find out what the related areas are that Change Control connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Change Control thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Change Control journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Change Control leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Change Control related domains to cover and 173 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Change Control, Change Management, Changelog, Clinical trial, Computer, Computer network, Configuration management, Documentation, Electric power, Food and Drug Administration, Good Manufacturing Practice, Identifier, Information technology, Infrastructure, International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use, Living Document, Operating system, Quality management system, Routing, Specification, Standard operating procedure, Standardization, Version control:
Change Control Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Change Control failures and assess what counts with Change Control that we are not counting.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Change Control models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Change Control leaders?
– What threat is Change Control addressing?
– Why is change control necessary?
Change Management Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Change Management goals and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Change Management decisions.
– Workforce Change Management How do you prepare your workforce for changing capability and capacity needs? How do you manage your workforce, its needs, and your needs to ensure continuity, prevent workforce reductions, and minimize the impact of workforce reductions, if they do become necessary? How do you prepare for and manage periods of workforce growth?
– The objective of Change Management is to ensure that standard methods and procedures are used, such that changes can be dealt with quickly, with the lowest possible impact on service quality. all changes should be traceable, in other words, one can answer the question, what changed? Do we do this?
– Business Change and Training Manager responsibilities include Planning, coordinating and implementing an Organizational Change Management Plan?
– Do you have resources, processes, and methodologies in place to provide training and organizational change management services?
– What are some concrete ways to help executives understand the value of change management?
– Does your organization have a preferred organizational change management methodology?
– What are the most important benefits of effective organizational change management?
– Do project management and Change Management look the same for every initiative?
– How effective is your organization with organizational change management?
– In what scenarios should change management systems be introduced?
– What has been your most Challenging change management experience?
– What are common barriers to using Change Management in practice?
– What change management practices does your organization employ?
– When is Change Management used on a project?
– When to start Change Management?
Changelog Critical Criteria:
Focus on Changelog management and stake your claim.
– How important is Change Control to the user organizations mission?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Change Control?
– What are the barriers to increased Change Control production?
Clinical trial Critical Criteria:
Use past Clinical trial engagements and grade techniques for implementing Clinical trial controls.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Change Control services/products?
– What are the long-term Change Control goals?
Computer Critical Criteria:
Confer over Computer strategies and track iterative Computer results.
– Partial solutions can only be used if the information support is being developed for a process that has not yet been computerised. Namely, if users already use an old IT solution – will they partly use the old one and partly the new one?
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– During the last 3 years, have you experienced a disruption to your computer system that lasted longer than 4 hours for any reason (other than planned downtime)?
– Do we do this…As you approach the front desk, the Customer Service professional is busy typing on a computer. after several seconds, he mumbles, yes?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– Does each mobile computer with direct connectivity to the internet have a personal firewall and anti-virus software installed?
– Do employees use laptops or home computers to work on agency business outside of the office?
– Is anti-virus software installed on all computers/servers that connect to your network?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– How well are information risks being communicated to your computer end-users?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Change Control been identified and analyzed?
– Does the organization need to analyze evidence from a computer incident?
– Can your software be accessed via Windows PCs and Apple Mac computers?
– Do all computers have up-to-date anti-spam protection?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Are all computers password protected?
– What if the data cannot fit on your computer?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Understand Computer network issues and overcome Computer network skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Change Control agendas for the next 3 years?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Change Control project?
– Do we monitor the Change Control decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Configuration management goals and change contexts.
– Are physical configuration assessments conducted to determine the degree of agreement between the current physical configuration and the configuration depicted in the facility documentation?
– Are structures, systems and components within the CM Program tested periodically to determine if they are still capable of meeting design requirements?
– How do the developers know which codeline to check their code into, and when to when to check it in, and what tests to run before check in?
– How do you stabilize a codeline for an impending release while also allowing new work to continue on an active codeline?
– Which of the itil processes is responsible for ensuring the organization is aware of new and changing technology?
– Have all mechanisms that can lead to temporary or permanent changes to facility documentation been identified?
– Has Configuration Management a say in how information is stored and accessed in other enterprise databases?
– Have you established document retention times in accordance with DOE 1324.2A, Records Disposition?
– Have you identified programmatic interfaces within your CM Program?
– Has an initial assessment of your cm program been conducted?
– Why implement a Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Definition: what is software Configuration Management?
– Which incidents should be logged by the service desk?
– Is impact analysis performed for all change requests?
– How frequently should cab/ec meetings be held?
– What do we do in regression testing?
– How much is the system evolving?
– Implemented as proposed?
Documentation Critical Criteria:
Frame Documentation projects and finalize the present value of growth of Documentation.
– If a breach occurs or the regulator investigates the organization; you need to have documents to explain the complete data flows. Are you ready to answer those questions as the level of fines will take into account the processes; technology; and documentation that describes the systems and flow of data. Are you ready for that?
– Organizational support in providing services: do managers provide encouragement and support for collaborative activities and what is the impact on operations, documentation, billing, and Risk Management?
– If SLAs are already negotiated and reference the Catalogue for documentation of the service levels, how do you change service level in the Catalogue without renegotiating the SLA?
– Is There an individual or team responsible to routinely ensure the alternate processing facility has the necessary hardware, supplies, and documentation to resume processing?
– Have operational issues, such as daily operation, maintenance, contingency planning, awareness, and training, and documentation been considered?
– Does sufficient documentation exist on implementing partner activities commensurate with the level of upstream support that is being claimed?
– Do you have enough focus on ITRM documentation to help formalize processes to increase communications and integration with ORM?
– Risk Documentation: What reporting formats and processes will be used for risk management activities?
– What documentation is provided with the software / system and in what format?
– Is there systematic monitoring and documentation of the management process?
– How does improper or incomplete documentation affect disciplinary actions?
– How will the software and documentation libraries be created and managed?
– Is there documentation on the vulnerability scans performed?
– Documentation supporting any options selected?
– What is the level of documentation needed?
– Are there Change Control Models?
Electric power Critical Criteria:
Focus on Electric power results and get the big picture.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Change Control? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Change Control strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Among the Change Control product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
Food and Drug Administration Critical Criteria:
Use past Food and Drug Administration strategies and test out new things.
– what is the best design framework for Change Control organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How can you negotiate Change Control successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Change Control leader?
Good Manufacturing Practice Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Good Manufacturing Practice strategies and define what our big hairy audacious Good Manufacturing Practice goal is.
– Who needs to know about Change Control ?
– What about Change Control Analysis of results?
– How do we maintain Change Controls Integrity?
Identifier Critical Criteria:
Align Identifier outcomes and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Identifier results.
– Think about the people you identified for your Change Control project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Are the data and associated software produced and/or used in the project discoverable (and readily located), identifiable by means of a standard identification mechanism (e.g. digital object identifier)?
– After GDPR comes into force; can we continue declaring that papers and identifiers which a candidate has provided us with for the purpose of selection procedure will not returned?
– Does the tool in use allow the ability to use Smart number identifiers (e.g., the ability to recognize that 999 99 9999 is not a valid Social Security number)?
– Have mechanisms been put in place to de-identify data whenever possible(e.g.,by removing all direct and indirect identifiers)?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Change Control requirements in detail?
– Are unique identifiers in place for users of it resources?
– What is our formula for success in Change Control ?
– What is the identifier of a thing?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Focus on Information technology planning and pioneer acquisition of Information technology systems.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Change Control with what users do day-to-day?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– What are specific Change Control Rules to follow?
– What is Effective Change Control?
Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Examine Infrastructure governance and get out your magnifying glass.
– Does the software let users work with the existing data infrastructure already in place, freeing your IT team from creating more cubes, universes, and standalone marts?
– Will there be a need to modify established Identity and Access Management processes and infrastructure, for example, new roles, new approvals, and so on?
– How do you protect against attack when you have a standard infrastructure and the same vulnerability exists in many places across that infrastructure?
– An administrator wants to install a guest os on a newly created virtual machine. what enables the administrator to perform the installation?
– Which type of expense is most likely to increase as an organization increases the consumption of cloud resources from a service provider?
– The question then is, how can it provide a mobile solution that is scalable, has increased security without huge associated costs?
– What do organizations see as the greatest challenges in developing a cross-sector standards-based Framework for critical infrastructure?
– Which cloud Service Management process maintains information in the Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Of the number of students eligible for this service, how many students were provided w/this service?
– How will the switch happen to public cloud when the private cloud infrastructure gets mixed out?
– What is the name of the organization helping to foster security standards for cloud computing?
– How do I implement critical solutions to get a more agile environment infrastructure?
– Which governance, risk and compliance process should they perform for this purpose?
– what is the difference between an application service and an infrastructure service?
– Which backup solution supports only source-based data deduplication?
– What vendors make products that address the Change Control needs?
– What are the three building blocks of automated storage tiering?
– How is the term recovery point objective (rpo) defined?
– What is the average time to repair an infrastructure failure?
– What browsers are available to the students?
International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use Critical Criteria:
Talk about International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use tactics and look in other fields.
– How do we measure improved Change Control service perception, and satisfaction?
– Which Change Control goals are the most important?
– How can skill-level changes improve Change Control?
Living Document Critical Criteria:
Mine Living Document issues and attract Living Document skills.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Change Control that make it risky?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Probe Operating system projects and finalize the present value of growth of Operating system.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– Will Change Control have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Change Control project?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
– Are there recognized Change Control problems?
Quality management system Critical Criteria:
Guard Quality management system tactics and remodel and develop an effective Quality management system strategy.
– Think about the functions involved in your Change Control project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Are accountability and ownership for Change Control clearly defined?
Routing Critical Criteria:
Think about Routing planning and forecast involvement of future Routing projects in development.
– System Architecture for On-Chip Networks: What system architecture (topology, routing, flow control, interfaces) is optimal for on-chip networks?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Change Control? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How can you measure Change Control in a systematic way?
Specification Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Specification strategies and point out improvements in Specification.
– Can visitors/customers easily find all relevant information about your products (e.g., prices, options, technical specifications, quantities, shipping information, order status) on your website?
– Does each piece of measuring and test equipment used to determine compliance with customer technical specifications have a calibration/inspection record?
– Can we add value to the current Change Control decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Have product specifications been reviewed with respect to existing and planned organizational programs, policies, procedures, and standards?
– Do we collect and manipulate source data into a mutually agreed upon flat-file specification?
– Have security requirements been identified and compared against product specifications?
– Is the project on schedule, on budget, and meeting specifications?
– What are the job descriptions and specifications for the staff?
– Is a formal specification complete?
– How to deal with Change Control Changes?
Standard operating procedure Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Standard operating procedure decisions and differentiate in coordinating Standard operating procedure.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Change Control workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Change Control. How do we gain traction?
– How likely is the current Change Control plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Standardization Critical Criteria:
Trace Standardization issues and report on developing an effective Standardization strategy.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Change Control process?
– Why should we adopt a Change Control framework?
Version control Critical Criteria:
Group Version control risks and develop and take control of the Version control initiative.
– Consider your own Change Control project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How can you experiment with a complex change and benefit from the version control system without making the change public?
– Will you be using a standard naming format and version control?
– How do we improve the way that we use version control?
– What goes under version control?
– Do we have past Change Control Successes?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Change Control Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Change Control External links:
[PDF]Change Control Procedure – University of North …
[PDF]09 1 of 26 Title CHANGE CONTROL PROCESS TABLE …
[DOC]Change Control Procedure – European Commission
Change Management External links:
CDT Releases Organizational Change Management and …
[PDF]Organizational Change Management Readiness …
Change management experts -Change Management …
Changelog External links:
Changelog for Power BI Report Server – docs.microsoft.com
Product Changelog | BOMGAR
Clinical trial External links:
myClin – Clinical Trial Knowledge Platform
Clinical Trial Logistics | MARKEN
Clinical Trial Finder | Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
Computer External links:
Shredder Online Chess – Shredder Computer Chess …
Computer network External links:
How to find my computer network name – Mil Incorporated
Configuration management External links:
Configuration Management | IpX
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
[PDF]Configuration Management (CM) Plans: The …
Documentation External links:
Mary Conlin Vessel Documentation Easy, Quick and …
Texas Forms Manual: Guide to Real Estate & Title Documentation
State Boat Titling vs Vessel Documentation | …
Electric power External links:
Electric Power Company in Floresville TX | Utilities Company
Basin Electric Power Cooperative – Official Site
Tucson Electric Power – Official Site
Food and Drug Administration External links:
Did the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Announce a …
U.S. Food and Drug Administration – Home | Facebook
U S Food and Drug Administration Home Page
Good Manufacturing Practice External links:
[PDF]GOOD MANUFACTURING PRACTICE GUIDELINE …
GMP news. Good Manufacturing Practice. News & Events
[PDF]What are Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) …
Identifier External links:
My Identifiers – Official Site
Digital Object Identifier System
All Flags in Alphabetical Sequence – Flag Image Identifier
Information technology External links:
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Infrastructure External links:
Institute For Sustainable Infrastructure
Living Document External links:
[PDF]This manual is a living document subject to changes …
Operating system External links:
Find Out Which Operating System Is on My Computer …
Operating System and Browser warning
nCino Bank Operating System
Quality management system External links:
Georgia Quality Management System | Georgia …
What Is a Quality Management System? | ASQ
abaqis® | Quality Management System
Routing External links:
Check Sample and TD Bank Routing Numbers
Specification External links:
Specification Grade Lighting Manufacturer | Bartco Lighting
Welders Log | Welding Procedure Specification Software
Standard operating procedure External links:
How to Write a Standard Operating Procedure: 15 Steps
[PDF]Standard Operating Procedure – California Air …
Standardization External links:
Standardization. (Journal, magazine, 1949) [WorldCat.org]
Standardization Procedures – SAS Support
Version control External links:
VisualSVN – Subversion-based version control for Windows
List history on branch | Version Control Systems | …