What is involved in Software asset management
Find out what the related areas are that Software asset management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Software asset management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its SAM software asset management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward SAM software asset management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Software asset management related domains to cover and 142 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Software asset management, Bring your own device, Business Software Alliance, Business strategy, Central processing unit, Computer network, Discipline, Financial Software, ISO/IEC 19770, ISO 19770, IT asset management, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information technology, International Electrotechnical Commission, International Organization for Standardization, Issue tracking, License manager, Productivity, Security policies, Software as a service, Software deployment, Software licenses, Software licensing audit, Software metering, Software piracy, System Centre Configuration Manager:
Software asset management Critical Criteria:
Explore Software asset management decisions and differentiate in coordinating Software asset management.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Software asset management is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Which customers cant participate in our Software asset management domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Do Software asset management rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Bring your own device Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Bring your own device visions and ask what if.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Software asset management information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Among the Software asset management product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Software asset management?
Business Software Alliance Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Business Software Alliance tactics and reduce Business Software Alliance costs.
– Will Software asset management have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Software asset management project?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Software asset management activities?
Business strategy Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Business strategy visions and adopt an insight outlook.
– As a CSP undertakes to build out or take a fresh look at its service offerings, the CSP should clearly define its business strategy and related risk management philosophy. What market segments or industries does the CSP intend to serve?
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– Does Software asset management analysis show the relationships among important Software asset management factors?
– Is maximizing Software asset management protection the same as minimizing Software asset management loss?
– Which services does the ITSM investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– What is the link between a firms business strategy and its capital budgeting process?
– What is your it asset management program. is it manual or automated (which vendor)?
– What are all of our Software asset management domains and what do they do?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– What should be done in-house and what should be outsourced?
– Are outcomes in line with business strategy?
– What is the overall business strategy?
Central processing unit Critical Criteria:
Derive from Central processing unit visions and slay a dragon.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Software asset management products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Software asset management objectives?
– Will Software asset management deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Computer network governance and oversee Computer network management by competencies.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Software asset management processes?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– How do we manage Software asset management Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Are there Software asset management problems defined?
Discipline Critical Criteria:
Shape Discipline tactics and arbitrate Discipline techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Are the various points of view (in terms of discipline, work experience, and diversity) relevant to the task at hand adequately represented so that informed, intelligent decisions will be made?
– What is the discipline for managing sole-authority data as one logical source with defined updating rules for physical data residing on different platforms?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Software asset management?
– What is the discipline for managing replicated data, which is derived from operational sole-authority data?
– Should the dataset be deposited in a national, international or discipline-based data center?
– Why has systems engineering emerged as a distinct discipline?
– Are young people majoring in disciplines you need, or not?
– What is and why Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD)?
– What assets benefit from the discipline of itam?
– How do disciplined agile teams work at scale?
– How do we Lead with Software asset management in Mind?
– How does that compare to other science disciplines?
Financial Software Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Financial Software tactics and adopt an insight outlook.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Software asset management? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Think of your Software asset management project. what are the main functions?
– What is our Software asset management Strategy?
ISO/IEC 19770 Critical Criteria:
Accumulate ISO/IEC 19770 goals and grade techniques for implementing ISO/IEC 19770 controls.
– In a project to restructure Software asset management outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Software asset management moving forward?
ISO 19770 Critical Criteria:
Check ISO 19770 tasks and oversee ISO 19770 requirements.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Software asset management project?
– Are there Software asset management Models?
IT asset management Critical Criteria:
Generalize IT asset management visions and budget for IT asset management challenges.
– What are the key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– Can you identify all your it hardware and software locations?
– What assets are being used with it (software, components)?
– If someone installs software, how do we keep track of it?
– What are the request tracking needs of our organization?
– How do we determine who is entitled to what software?
– Are we prepared to respond to a software audit?
– How do we maintain Software asset managements Integrity?
– How are employees affected by the cm process?
– Game of hide and seek at your organization?
– What is the condition of the asset?
– Do we know ho owns every asset?
– Anything managed by it staff?
– Which assets need managing ?
– Why create a it am system?
– What is the configuration?
– It assets -what are they?
– Who can initiate changes?
– What is an it asset?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Design Information Technology Infrastructure Library engagements and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Information Technology Infrastructure Library is getting what it needs.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Software asset management. How do we gain traction?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Software asset management experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Software asset management, including any consulting or professional services?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Information technology tactics and observe effective Information technology.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Software asset management process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Software asset management process available?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Software asset management process?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– When a Software asset management manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
International Electrotechnical Commission Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze International Electrotechnical Commission planning and probe International Electrotechnical Commission strategic alliances.
– What is the purpose of Software asset management in relation to the mission?
International Organization for Standardization Critical Criteria:
Discourse International Organization for Standardization failures and integrate design thinking in International Organization for Standardization innovation.
– Is the Software asset management organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Is Supporting Software asset management documentation required?
– Are we Assessing Software asset management and Risk?
Issue tracking Critical Criteria:
Group Issue tracking governance and research ways can we become the Issue tracking company that would put us out of business.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Software asset management into the services that we provide?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Software asset management is underway?
– Is Software asset management dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
License manager Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on License manager quality and remodel and develop an effective License manager strategy.
– Do we monitor the Software asset management decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What are internal and external Software asset management relations?
– What are the long-term Software asset management goals?
Productivity Critical Criteria:
Consult on Productivity planning and grade techniques for implementing Productivity controls.
– Management buy-in is a concern. Many program managers are worried that upper-level management would ask for progress reports and productivity metrics that would be hard to gather in an Agile work environment. Management ignorance of Agile methodologies is also a worry. Will Agile advantages be able to overcome the well-known existing problems in software development?
– Agile project management with Scrum derives from best business practices in companies like Fuji-Xerox, Honda, Canon, and Toyota. Toyota routinely achieves four times the productivity and 12 times the quality of competitors. Can Scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– When we try to quantify Systems Engineering in terms of capturing productivity (i.e., size/effort) data to incorporate into a parametric model, what size measure captures the amount of intellectual work performed by the systems engineer?
– Scrums productivity stems from doing the right things first and doing those things very effectively. The product owner queues up the right work by prioritizing the product backlog. How does the team maximize its productivity, though?
– How do you measure the Operational performance of your key work systems and processes, including productivity, cycle time, and other appropriate measures of process effectiveness, efficiency, and innovation?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Software asset management processes?
– How do you use other indicators, such as workforce retention, absenteeism, grievances, safety, and productivity, to assess and improve workforce engagement?
– Is employee productivity degraded because it is too difficult to gain and maintain system access?
– What are strategies that we can undertake to reduce job fatigue and reduced productivity?
– What are the most effective ways for us to improve the productivity of our sales force?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Software asset management study?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Software asset management?
– How many dependences affect the productivity of each activity?
– What are ways that employee productivity can be measured?
– How many external interfaces affect the productivity?
– How many constraints affect the productivity?
– How do we improve productivity?
Security policies Critical Criteria:
Grade Security policies issues and devote time assessing Security policies and its risk.
– Does the IT Security system require end-users to configure and maintain security policies, security professionals to individually manage policies per host, or is the configuration centrally managed?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Are information security policies and other relevant security information disseminated to all system users (including vendors, contractors, and business partners)?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Software asset management strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How do you ensure that security policies are accurately and fully implemented across the cloud architectures you are using and buying into?
– Are employees required to sign an agreement verifying they have read and understood the security policies and procedures?
– How does the service providers security policies (e.g. contingency planning) differ from that of the organization?
– Does the firm have appropriate IT security policies governing user access that are effectively implemented?
– Are we requesting exemption from or modification to established information security policies or standards?
– Are our employees following the security policies and procedures that are in place such as secure data disposal?
– Are information security policies reviewed at least once a year and updated as needed?
– How do we capture corporate security policies and incorporate them into the system?
– Is the compliance of systems with organization security policies and standards ensured?
– Are we complying with existing security policies?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Confer over Software as a service projects and research ways can we become the Software as a service company that would put us out of business.
– How do we measure improved Software asset management service perception, and satisfaction?
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
– Is Software asset management Required?
Software deployment Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Software deployment results and attract Software deployment skills.
– Does Software asset management analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How do we go about Securing Software asset management?
Software licenses Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Software licenses decisions and develop and take control of the Software licenses initiative.
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Software asset management strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What is Effective Software asset management?
– How to Secure Software asset management?
Software licensing audit Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Software licensing audit goals and observe effective Software licensing audit.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Software asset management ?
– What will drive Software asset management change?
Software metering Critical Criteria:
Use past Software metering leadership and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Software metering results.
– How likely is the current Software asset management plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Software piracy Critical Criteria:
Mix Software piracy issues and adjust implementation of Software piracy.
– Do the Software asset management decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
System Centre Configuration Manager Critical Criteria:
Shape System Centre Configuration Manager governance and differentiate in coordinating System Centre Configuration Manager.
– Can we add value to the current Software asset management decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Is a Software asset management Team Work effort in place?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the SAM software asset management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Software asset management External links:
Software Asset Management – Microsoft SAM
Software Asset Management | ServiceNow
Bring your own device External links:
[PDF]Bring Your Own Device – Alberta Education
Bring Your Own Device Program | Kindred Healthcare
ePRO Consortium Webinar: Bring Your Own Device | …
Business Software Alliance External links:
Business Software Alliance – SourceWatch
Business Software Alliance Jobs – Apply Now | …
B S A Business Software Alliance – GuideStar Profile
Business strategy External links:
Business Strategy | Coursera
Business Strategy Manager Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Business strategy (Book, 2015) [WorldCat.org]
Central processing unit External links:
Central Processing Unit (CPU) – Lifewire
central processing unit (CPU) Flashcards | Quizlet
Central processing unit | computer | Britannica.com
Computer network External links:
15-1152.00 – Computer Network Support Specialists
Computer network (eBook, 2009) [WorldCat.org]
Discipline External links:
Conscious Discipline – Official Site
Ohio Board of Nursing / Discipline Page
NYS Professions – Discipline Summaries Search
Financial Software External links:
Financial Software | Online Access | BB&T Bank
ISO/IEC 19770 External links:
International standards in the ISO/IEC 19770 family of standards for IT asset management (ITAM) address both the processes and technology for managing software assets and related IT assets. Broadly speaking, the standard family belongs to the set of Software Asset Management (or SAM) standards and is integrated with other Management System Standards.
ISO 19770 External links:
ISO 19770 Archives – Sassafras Software
ISO 19770 – Microsoft Volume Licensing Blog
IT asset management External links:
IT Asset Management & Electronics Recycling Solutions – ECS
IT Asset Management – Oomnitza
[PDF]IT Asset Management – U.S. Department of Veterans …
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
[PDF]Information Technology Infrastructure Library – ITIL®
Information technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Umail | University Information Technology Services
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
International Electrotechnical Commission External links:
IEC – International Electrotechnical Commission – YouTube
The Work of the International Electrotechnical Commission.
IEC – International Electrotechnical Commission
International Organization for Standardization External links:
ISO International Organization for Standardization
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
Issue tracking External links:
[DOC]ISSUE TRACKING FORM – DXC Technology
Issue Tracker Comparison: Project issue tracking module …
Issue Tracking Software Customized To Your Business
License manager External links:
Global License Manager | A10 Networks
Productivity External links:
Microsoft Office | Productivity Tools for Home & Office
ChocoVision: Technology Means Productivity
Security policies External links:
Security Policies | IT@UMN
Online Security Policies | Principal
Software as a service External links:
What is SaaS? Software as a Service | Microsoft Azure
DENTAWEB Software as a service
Software deployment External links:
[PDF]Automating Software Deployment – New York University
Software licenses External links:
AgileBits Software Licenses
TLDRLegal – Software Licenses Explained in Plain English
Software licensing audit External links:
Software Licensing Audit | Microsoft Audit Readiness
Software metering External links:
Introduction to Software Metering in Configuration Manager
How to Create Software Metering Rules in Configuration Manager
Software Metering – Configuration Manager | Microsoft Docs
Software piracy External links:
What Is Software Piracy? | Techwalla.com
Report Software Piracy